NOAA Fisheries is soliciting nominations for the Atlantic Highly Migratory Species Southeast Data, Assessment, and Review Workshops (SEDAR) Advisory Panel. Panel members may participate in the various data, assessment, and review workshops associated with shark stock assessments. If selected to participate in a workshop, members would consider the scientific information—including data and models—used in stock assessments and advise NOAA Fisheries on the conservation and management of Atlantic sharks.
In 2019, NOAA Fisheries anticipates conducting a benchmark stock assessment for Atlantic blacktip sharks. In 2020, we intend to begin a research track assessment for the hammerhead shark complex. Meetings or workshops for these assessments will be determined according to SEDAR guidelines.
This is a 5-year appointment beginning in 2019 and ending in 2024.
To be considered, individuals must have definable interests in:
- Recreational and commercial fishing and related industries.
- The environmental community.
- Non-governmental organizations.
Submit nominations by email, U.S. mail: Karyl Brewster-Geisz, Highly Migratory Species Management Division, NOAA Fisheries, 1315 East-West Highway, Silver Spring, MD 20910), or by fax: (301) 713-1917.
Nomination packages should include:
- The name, address, phone, and email of the applicant or nominee.
- A description of the applicant’s or nominee’s interest or expertise in Atlantic shark stock assessments or the fishery.
- A statement of the applicant’s or nominee’s background and/or qualifications.
- A written commitment that the applicant or nominee shall actively participate in good faith in the tasks of the panel.
Nominations must be received by October 26, 2018.