NOAA Fisheries supports the development of technological solutions and changes in fishing practices designed to minimize bycatch. Our mission is to find creative approaches and strategies for reducing bycatch, seabird interactions, and post-release mortality in federally managed fisheries.
Funding for Innovative Bycatch Solutions
NOAA Fisheries awards $2.3 million for projects that increase collaborative research and partnerships for innovation in bycatch reduction.
High-priority areas for Fiscal Year 2022 projects include:
- Researching new technology
- Encouraging technology adoption
- Reducing post-release mortality
- Avoiding habitat interactions
- Conducting international research