Spatial Data Collected by Groundfish Observers in Alaska
This system is designed to provide visitors a tool to better understand where fish and invertebrates are caught in the Bering Sea/Aleutian Islands (BSAI) and Gulf of Alaska (GOA) groundfish fisheries by examining data collected by observers.
The underlying information for these maps comes from a database of observer samples maintained by the Fisheries Monitoring and Analysis (FMA) Division of the Alaska Fisheries Science Center. Information collected by observers, together with catch and production reports submitted by the fishing industry, provide the basis for estimating overall catches from the GOA and BSAI. The portion of the catch sampled by observers varies by region, vessel-type, gear-type, and target fishery. Since 2001, vessels with observers in the BSAI have accounted for approximately 90% of the groundfish tonnage caught and observers have sampled the catch from about three-fourths of the hauls/sets. Vessels with observers in the GOA have accounted for approximately 40% of the groundfish tonnage caught and observers have sampled the catch from about two-thirds of the hauls/sets.
Since all fishing operations are not observed, neither the maps nor the data can be used to characterize the fisheries completely. Furthermore, estimates of the composition of observed catches or sets are generally determined by expanding sample catch compositions recorded by observers. These maps present aggregate catch composition only from observed hauls and sets and expanded as described above and will not always provide an accurate portrayal of catches of target and non-target species by the whole fleet. Inaccuracies will be greatest for rarely-occurring species and when sample sizes are relatively small. We caution users about making simple expansions from these data because of the complexity of the groundfish fisheries and the fleets which harvest them.
- North Pacific Observer Duties
- North Pacific Observer Program Training & Briefing
- North Pacific Observer Program Training Schedule
- North Pacific Observer Program Permitted Providers
- North Pacific Observer Pre-Class Reading Material
- North Pacific Observer Sampling Manual
- What is a North Pacific Groundfish and Halibut Observer Brochure
- Spatial Data Collected by Groundfish Observers in Alaska
- Alaska Groundfish Fishery Observer Data Map
- North Pacific Observer Resources
- North Pacific Electronic Monitoring
- North Pacific Observer Program Annual Deployment Plans
- North Pacific Observer Program Annual Reports
- North Pacific Observer Vessel / Plant Operator FAQ
- North Pacific Observer Vessel / Plant Operator Comment Form
- Observer Deploy and Declare System (ODDS)
- Observer Fee Collection and Payment
- Observer Harassment Warning (PDF)
- North Pacific Observer Program Federal Register - Rules and Notices
- Regulatory Analyses