NOAA Fisheries is seeking nominations to fill vacancies on the Marine Fisheries Advisory Committee. The Committee advises the Secretary of Commerce on all marine life matters that are the responsibility of the Department of Commerce. It researches, evaluates, and provides advice and recommendations to the Secretary and NOAA on agency policies, activities, science, conservation, and regulatory programs critical to the mission and goals of NOAA Fisheries.
Committee members are highly qualified, diverse individuals with experience in:
- Commercial, recreational, aquaculture, tribal, indigenous, and non-commercial fisheries and businesses
- Seafood industry, including processing, marketing, restaurants, and related industries
- Marine, ecosystems, or protected resources management and conservation
- Human dimensions, social sciences, and economic issues associated with marine resources and working waterfronts
Nominees should possess expertise in one of these areas. They may be from:
- Tribes or indigenous groups
- Environmental organizations
- Consumer groups
- Other marine life interest groups
A diverse membership ensures that the Committee has the expertise needed to consider the breadth of NOAA’s mission and the Committee’s responsibilities.
Nominees must be able to commit to two in-person annual meetings and year-round subcommittee work. Membership is balanced geographically across all U.S. geographic regions, including the Western Pacific and Caribbean. NOAA also considers the ethnic, racial, and gender diversity and various abilities of the United States population. Individuals serve for a term of 3 years. Members may serve a second consecutive term, if re-appointed.
A member may not be a federal employee; a state official, their designee, or an appointed member of a regional fishery management council; a registered federal lobbyist; or agent of a foreign principal. All members serve voluntarily and service is without pay. However, all travel and related expenses to attend meetings are reimbursed. The Committee functions solely as an advisory body complying fully with the Federal Advisory Committee Act.
For questions or more information, contact Katie (Denman) Zanowicz, firstname.lastname@example.org.