Marine Fisheries Advisory Committee Subcommittees and Task Forces
Member lists of Subcommittees and Task Forces
Chair: Megan Davis, PhD
Vice Chair: Kellie Ralston
Designated Federal Officer: Jennifer Lukens, Director, Office of Policy, NOAA Fisheries Service
Assistant Designated Federal Officer: Heidi Lovett, Senior Policy Analyst, NOAA Fisheries Service
(* indicates Subcommittee Chair)
Members: Belle, Berkowitz, Davis*, Espinoza, Kalez, McDonald, Ralston
- Consists of the Chairs of each of the five Subcommittees, plus the MAFAC Chair and Vice Chair.
- Assists with agenda development, subcommittee assignments, and administrative issues for Committee business.
Strategic Planning, Budget and Program Management Subcommittee
Members: Davis, McMahon*
- Reviews and advises on strategic planning elements relevant to the agency's mission and performance, budget operations and priorities, and reviews.
- Provides input on the status of existing management programs within NOAA Fisheries Service.
Members: Belle*, Berkowitz*, Davis, Moreland, Upton
- Reviews and advises on fisheries management and emergent socio-economic issues such as offshore aquaculture, seafood technology, and consumer interests.
- Overseeing the work of the Seafood Promotion Task Group, which is exploring the concept for a National Seafood Council to improve consumer confidence in and consumption of U.S. seafood.
- Oversees the work and assignments to the Aquaculture Task Force.
Protected Resources Subcommittee
Members: Davis, Espinoza, Kalez, McDonald*, Schumacker
- Reviews and advises on protected species programs operating under the Marine Mammal Protection Act and the Endangered Species Act.
Ecosystem Approach Subcommittee
Members: Davis, Espinoza*, McDonald, Schumacker
- Reviews programs and initiatives involved with the development and implementation of ecosystem approaches to fisheries management.
- Oversees the Columbia Basin Partnership Task Force and the Climate and Marine Resources Task Force.
Recreational Fisheries Subcommittee
Members: Fote, Jones, Kalez*, Ralston, Yamada
- Advises on initiatives and policies that pertain to recreational fisheries, fishermen, and related industries.
Columbia Basin Partnership Task Force
Created in 2017 to make recommendations on common goals and helping to define a shared path to long-term salmon recovery in the Columbia Basin Region. The CBP Task Force will recommend a shared vision for Columbia Basin salmon and quantitative goals to meet conservation needs and provide harvest opportunities. The Task Force completed its work in September 2020, when it transmitted it's Phase 2 Final Report.
Learn more about the Columbia Basin Partnership Task Force
Recreational Electronic Reporting Task Force
NOAA Fisheries and MAFAC are pleased to announce the establishment of a new Recreational Electronic Reporting Task Force. This Task Force will provide expert advice to MAFAC, and subsequently NOAA Fisheries Leadership, on the generation, delivery, and use of electronically reported data from private recreational anglers to assist NOAA Fisheries in fulfilling its mission activities.
Terms of Reference for the Recreational Electronic Reporting Task Force (PDF, 3 pages)
Learn more about the new Task Force
Aquaculture Task Force
Created in January 2015 to expand the aquaculture expertise of MAFAC, and to help MAFAC provide advice and input to NOAA Leadership, on the NOAA Aquaculture Program and its future activities.
Learn more about the Aquaculture Task Force
Climate and Marine Resources Task Force
Created in January 2015 as a communication conduit for stakeholder input to MAFAC, and subsequently NOAA Leadership, on the production, delivery, and use of climate-related information in fulfilling NOAA Fisheries mission activities.
Learn more about the Climate and Marine Resources Task Force