How Do I Get Started With eVTRs?
Guide to how commercial fishermen can get started with electronic vessel trip reports (eVTRs).
If you’ve used paper VTRs in the past, you’re familiar with the fields you have to fill out. For electronic VTRs (eVTRs), you'll be filling out those same fields. The only difference will be that when you report, you’ll be using a device — like a smartphone or a tablet or a computer — instead of a pen. Before you start with eVTRs, remember that you can always contact GARFO Port Agents for assistance or GARFO’s Help Desk (phone: (978)281-9188 or email:.NMFS.GAR.email@example.com) for technical assistance or any questions.
Three Basic Steps
Follow these three basic steps before you start reporting with eVTRs:
- Decide on the device and the app you want to use.
- Get a GARFO Fish Online account if you don’t have one.
- Get familiar with your eVTR app.
Choose your device and app.
First, choose the device you want to report with: an Apple iPhone or iPad, an Android phone or tablet, or a Windows 10 tablet or computer.
Next, choose your preferred eVTR application. There are apps from several developers that are suitable for use on all types of phones, tablets, and computers. Please see our Electronic Vessel Trip Reporting Software Options web page for the updated listing of approved options.
Register for GARFO Fish Online account.
Here’s why you must have a Fish Online account:
- To use any of the Fish Online eVTR applications, as well as some of the other approved eVTR applications.
- To apply for and renew your vessel, dealer, and operator permits.
- To access the Fish Online system to review previously-submitted VTRs
Also, Fish Online — where applicable — lets you view your vessel’s VTR compliance status, view and download fisheries data related to your vessel including dealer landings, conduct Days At Sea leasing, and manage your vessel profile.
Create a Fish Online account by going to the following web page and then clicking on Create Account:
More information about how to create a Fish Online account and how to link vessel(s) to the account can be found here: How to Create an Account in Fish Online and Link to a Vessel.
NOTE: The video in the webpage was created using an iPhone; however, be aware that you can create a Fish Online account from the Fish Online website or the Fish Online eVTR iOS app.
Get familiar with your eVTR application.
We recommend that before you submit an eVTR report for the first time, try filling out a practice report or two (but don’t submit your practice reports.) This will let you get familiar with the app before you’ are ready to use it for real. The practice reports are easy to delete when you no longer need them.
Once you begin submitting eVTRs, most eVTR apps can “remember” your most recent values for certain fields or allow you to create “favorites,” which saves you even more time.
More Information About eVTR Apps
You’re now ready to start using eVTRs to report your fishing trips. More information on using the Fish Online apps can be found below.
For Fish Online iOS App
- How to Complete a For-hire eVTR Using Fish Online eVTR App for iOS
- How to Complete a Commercial eVTR Using Fish Online eVTR App for iOS
- How to Complete a Private Recreational eVTR Using Fish Online eVTR App for iOS
For Fish Online Web App
- How to Complete a Commercial eVTR Using Fish Online eVTR Web App
- How to Complete a For-hire eVTR Using Fish Online eVTR Web App
- How to Complete a Private Recreational eVTR Using Fish Online eVTR Web App