Our research can be organized around eight research themes: Markets and Trade; Data Collection and Synthesis; Recreational Fisheries and Non-Market Valuation; Models of Fishermen Behavior, Management and Economic Performance; Models with Interactions Across Species; Regional Economic Modeling; Socioeconomic, Cultural and Community Analyses; and Catch Share Programs and Quota Markets. Current research projects include regional economic impact models, behavioral models of fishing operations, estimating the impact from climate change on fisheries and fishing communities, indicators of economic performance, and non-market valuation of living marine resources.
Economic Status Reports for Alaska Groundfish and Crab Fisheries
We publish two reports annually that compile social and economic information about the federal groundfish fisheries off the coast of Alaska and the federally-managed king and tanner crab fisheries in the Bering Sea/Aleutian Islands (BSAI). The Groundfish Economic Status Report (Econ SAFE or Stock Assessment and Fishery Evaluation Report) presents summary statistics on catch, value, participation, and effort in the groundfish fisheries, as well as analysis of community engagement in Alaska fisheries, the performance of groundfish catch share programs, and other indicators. The BSAI Crab Economic Status Report (Crab Econ SAFE) summarizes available economic information about the commercial crab fisheries managed under the Fishery Management Plan for Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands King and Tanner Crab, with particular attention to the subset of fisheries included in the Crab Rationalization program. In addition to statistics on catch, value, participation in the BSAI crab fisheries, the Crab Economic Status Report provides information on employment, income, costs, and quota movement in these fisheries. The groundfish and crab reports are also the primary channel for reporting data collected through the mandatory Economic Data Reporting (EDR) programs for BSAI Crab, Amendment 91/AFA Pollock, Gulf of Alaska Trawl Groundfish, and Amendment 80.
- North Pacific Groundfish Stock Assessment and Fishery Evaluation Reports
- 1998-2012 North Pacific Groundfish Stock Assessment and Fishery Evaluation Reports
- Economic Status Reports for the Gulf of Alaska and Bering Sea/Aleutian Islands
- Alaska Crab Stock Assessment and Fishery Evaluation Reports
- Ecosystem Research in Alaska
- Alaska Community Snaptshots and Profiles
- Alaska Subsistence Fishing Communities Interactive Map
- Alaska Recreational Fishing Communities Interactive Map
- Alaska Commercial Fishing Communities Interactive Map
- Southeast Alaska Coastal Monitoring
- Forecasting Pink Salmon Harvest in Southeast Alaska
- Alaska Economic and Social Sciences Research Data Collection Projects