Our goal is to ensure sustainable and productive West Coast fisheries and resilient fishing communities through science-based and collaborative management. The West Coast Region oversees the conservation and management of commercial, recreational, and tribal fisheries on the West Coast, extending from the vast interior salmon habitat of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and California to the high seas of the Pacific Ocean.
We collaborate extensively with the Pacific Fishery Management Council, Native American Indian tribes, and the four states within the region in our management of highly migratory species (e.g., tunas, sharks), coastal pelagic species (e.g., sardine and anchovy), groundfish, and salmon, as well as the habitats they rely upon.
We participate in the implementation of numerous international treaties and other agreements to sustainably conserve fisheries for cross-boundary species including highly migratory fish, particularly tuna; whiting; halibut, and salmon; and protect marine mammals of mutual interest to nations of the Pacific.
We also ensure that federal ocean fisheries along the West Coast are managed to uphold Native American Tribal treaty fishing rights.
West Coast Fisheries
- Salmon & Steelhead
- Fisheries Certificate of Origin (NOAA Form 370)
- Compliance Guide for Importing Tuna
- Tuna/Dolphin Embargo Status
- Captain's Statement Templates
Electronic Monitoring Program for Groundfish fisheries
Fishing and Seafood Resources
- Commercial Fishing Permits
- Vessel Monitoring Systems
- Fishery Compliance Guides
- Japanese Market News
Regulations and Management Actions
- Federal Register Rules and Notices - Open for Comment
- Federal Register Rules and Notices - All Rules & Notices
- Public Notices (Note: Public Notices are placed in the Bulletins Directory)
- NEPA Documents Available for Public Review
- Rules & Regulations - Fishing and related activities are found at 50 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Chapter III and IV.
- International Fisheries Regulations - 50 CFR 300
- Magnuson-Stevens Act Provisions - 50 CFR 600
- Fisheries Off West Coast States - 50 CFR 660
- Fisheries in the Western Pacific - 50 CFR 665
- State fishing regulations - Alaska | Washington | Oregon | Idaho | California
- Fishery Management Plans and Amendments
Councils and Commissions
- Pacific Fishery Management Council
- Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission
- Pacific Salmon Commission
- International Pacific Halibut Commission
- Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission
- Western Pacific and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission
- Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission
- Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission