Our Region works to conserve and restore marine resources on the West Coast. Guided by the Endangered Species Act (ESA), we review species' status to determine if a species should be listed as threatened or endangered; develop protective regulations to conserve listed species; designate critical habitat; develop and implement recovery plans; and authorize scientific research permits for activities that will benefit protected species. We also manage and conserve marine mammals under the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA). Among other activities under the MMPA, we coordinate and support the marine mammal stranding networks to care for animals stranded on our coasts. Our work covers a vast geography, including the inland and coastal waters of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and California.
We focus on partnerships, minimizing adverse effects of Federal actions, and science-based solutions. Habitat protection and restoration are critical components of species recovery and conservation. We work with a range of partners from Federal agencies to individual landowners to ensure sufficient protection and restoration of habitats necessary for species recovery. We also focus on recovery and conservation of species and habitats using an ecosystem-based approach that considers benefits, interactions, and trade-offs for multiple species.
- Green Sturgeon
- Sea Turtles
- Seals and Sea Lions
- Yelloweye Rockfish
Endangered Species Act (ESA) Resources
- List of ESA Species on the West Coast: (NOAA Fisheries managed species) Endangered, Threatened and Candidate Species
- Maps & Data: Including Interactive Map Viewers, Species Maps, Critical Habitat Maps and GIS Data, Essential Fish Habitat, and the Recovery Action Mapping Tool (to be replaced by the Protected Species
- ESA Species & Critical Habitat Mapper Web Application: Spatial data and maps of critical habitat and ESA threatened and endangered species under NOAA Fisheries’ jurisdiction on the West Coast.
- Endangered Species Conservation
- ESA Section 7 Consultations
- ESA Petition and Listing Process
- ESA Permits & Authorizations
- Species in the Spotlight
Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) Resources
- Marine Mammal Protection
- Marine Mammal Permits & Authorizations
- Report dead, injured, stranded, or entangled marine mammals
- Share the Shore: Resources for responsible marine mammal viewing
- Be Whale Wise: Safe Whale Watching